Hi, everyone !
In order to do software distribution within sccm, you just need to follow 3 W concept ?
3 W refer to What? - When? - Who?
What = refer to Package which can be exe,msi, configuration change(registry), etc
When = refer advertisement schedule. (time/date to deploy the package)
Who = refer to which Collection that you want to deploy software distribution.
Let look into Pre-configuration steps..
1. First,make sure you have set the SCCM server as distribution point roles.
Please refer to Part 103:- SCCM 2007 SP1 Post Configuration- "Configure site role"
2. Enable Advertised Program Client Agents
Please refer to Part 105:-SCCM Client Agent Configuration
3. Set Software Distribution package storage
Go to Computer Configuration > Software Distribution > On General tab > Set to Other Drive than C Drive - to separate from using system drive and avoid using system drive hard disk space
4. Create a folder called PackageSourceFiles. Configure the following permission as listed below:-
a)Set Share Permission (in Windows Server 2008)
- Everyone = Reader
- SMSAdmin = Owner (consist of local administrative permission on the sccm server and is a member of the local administrator on that server.
- System = Co-Owner
b)Set NTFS Security Permission
- System & SMSAdmin - Full Control (all permission)
- Everyone - Read, List folder and contents & Read and execute
5. For each new package, create a subfolder in the PackageSourceFile and store the package (msi,exe) into that folder. Please go to ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.1/enu/ and download Adobe 9.1. I'm going to use this package to further discuss on 1W- What? configuration.
6. Lastly, i always refer to http://www.appdeploy.com to check the silent installation switches. It is a good website which provide a lot of package silent installation switches. Go and check it out yourself.
That's concluded the pre-configuration for software distribution.
Stay Tuned for upcoming articles to discuss more on 3W....