Contacted by customer. They have Linux workload on-premise & would like to use Microsoft Azure as DR site.
p/s:-click on image to view in large mode
- Linux workload on-premise
- Use Microsoft Azure -Compute VM as DR site
- Able to restore data backup from on-premise/Azure
- No recovery of virtual machine. Just data
- Linux Azure VM has created with application without latest data
Here is my proposal:-
- Veeam Agent for Linux install on Linux physical/Linux VM. Configure to backup and store into Veeam Repository
- Use Centralize Veeam Repository to store backup data. Customer able to restore on-premise & Azure Linux VM.
- Configure Backup Copy Job to Veeam Repository on MS Azure. This will copy backup data to MS Azure via site to site VPN. Customer will have a copy of data on-premise & a copy of data on MS Azure.
When disaster happen,
a) customer can restore from on-premise or
b) customer can restore from MS Azure or
c) Use Veeam Explorer on-premise to restore item level recovery. Must have FLR appliance on-premise hypervisor.
Let look into situation that we want to use MS Azure VM as a place where entire production site is down. Here is the configuration that you need to configure:
1. Initially has export Veeam Configuration from Linux on-premise using cmdline- "veeamconfig config export --file config.txt
2. Install Veeam Agent on MS Azure Linux VM.
3. Transfer the configuration to MS Azure Linux VM. Don't import first.
4. Pres C to configure a dummy backup job with this settings:
- Use different backup job name than the original name.
- Use VBR as Destination
- Choose Repository - (Veeam Repository at MS Azure) - location where backup copy job data is stored.
- Uncheck "Run the job automatically"
You also can configure backup repository from cmdline:- veeamconfig repository
We just create a dummy backup job so it is connected to Veeam Backup Repository to get the backup data.
Then import the Veeam Backup Configuration file - veeamconfig config import --file config.txt
- Open Veeam Console by type command "veeam"
- Press "R" to recover file
- You able to view your previous backup job and you can start to restore the file.
To learn more on Veeam Agent for Linux, feel free to check out:-