Error:- "Current vSphere license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation"
So we cannot perform image level backup from the hypervisor level. For workaround, we use
- Veeam Agent for Windows - for Windows workload.
- Veeam Agent for Linux - for Linux workload. Click here to know more.
In this post, we are going to use Veeam Agent for Windows -Server Edition (currently in beta version.) to protect virtual machine running on free vmware esxi.
- Free Vmware ESXi 6.5
- Virtual Machine running Windows Server 2016
- Veeam Agent for Windows- Server Edition
- Veeam Backup Server (with Repository)
- optional : Free version or paid version :- Hyper-V 2016
- optional : Microsoft Azure
You need to install Veeam Agent for Windows - Server Edition in windows virtual machine, perform full backup and point backup data to Veeam repository.
When disaster, you can use Veeam to restore
- granular item using Veeam Explorer. Without restore entire virtual machine, you can recover an item (SQL, Exchange, Active Directory, Sharepoint, Oracle, File/Folder).
- export virtual disk to Hyper-V or Vmware disk format. It will perform conversion and convert to Hyper-V or Vmware virtual disk.
- Instant Recovery to Hyper-V Host. Refer to here. This feature allow user to bring up virtual machine (without restore entire virtual machine). It will mount the backup data to Hyper-V Host, to bring up the virtual machine within 2-3 minutes.
- Direct Restore to Microsoft Azure. Refer to here.
Hope this alternative work for you.
Note:- To download Veeam Agent for Windows, click here.