In the articles, we will talk about software update compliance for the infrastructure resources that host your private cloud.
Figure 1: Update Management with VMM 2012
Requirement to setup software update compliance:-
- VMM 2012
- SCCM 2007 or SCCM 2012
- WSUS 3.0 SP2 (64 bits) –either root server or downstream server
You can patch the following infrastructure resources
- Hyper-V Host and Cluster
- VMM Library
- WDS Server (PXE server)
- VMM Management Server
- WSUS Server
You CANNOT use VMM to patch the following resources:-
- Virtual Machine
- Vmware Infrastructure
- Citrix Xen Infrastructure
To patch virtual machine, you need to use SCCM Server.
Update Management Activities
Step 1:-Add WSUS Server into VMM
Step 2:- Perform synchronization of Window Update Catalog from VMM Server.
Step 3:- Create a baseline which contain the windows update
Step 4:- Performance On Demand compliance Scan on the infrastructure resource from VMM console. VMM will report compliance or not compliance based on the baseline which you have create in Step 3.
Step 5:- For Non Compliance status, you can perform remediation or exemption. Please remember, not all update need to patch to the system and recommend to test before patch the infrastructure.
Update Remediate a Hyper-V Cluster
- If live migrate VM is supported, then perform Live Migrate VMs before patch Host 1
- Put Host 1 under maintenance mode.
- Patch, Reboot and perform scanning to make sure the host 1 is compliant
- Remove Host 1 from maintenance mode and put Host 2 under maintenance mode
- Live Migrate VMs from Host 2 to Host 1
- Patch, Reboot and perform scanning to make sure the host 2 is compliant
- Remove Host 2 from maintenance mode
- Move back original VM to respective Host
- If live migration not enabled in the cluster, then VMs will put into Saved State.
Update Remediate a Stand-Alone Hyper-V Host
- Patch the Host
- You have the option to ‘Do not restart the server after remediation”
Let view the video on how do we use VMM 2012 to patch a Hyper-V Cluster