Before enabling application-aware processing backup on EC2 instance, follow below steps.
Here are a few guidelines and steps for ensuring the VSS-enabled snapshots complete successfully.
- The Windows instance must have the SSM agent installed and running. For system requirements and installation instructions for the SSM agent, visit the AWS Systems Manager documentation, https://docs.aws.amazon.com/systems-man ... l-win.html
- The Windows instance must have an IAM instance profile attached that:
* Allows Systems Manager to interact with the instance
* Allows Systems Manager to create VSS-enabled snapshots
For information on instance profiles and IAM policies required to create VSS-enabled snapshots, visit the AWS EC2 User Guide for Windows Instances, https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/late ... shots.html.
- Ensure the IAM instance profile has the "AmazonSSMManagedInstanceCore" role attached.
- Ensure the IAM instance profile has an IAM policy attached that allows VSS-enabled snapshots. See the following page for the JSON IAM policy for VSS-enabled snapshots, https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/late ... d-vss-role
- The Windows instance must have the AWS VSS Components package (AwsVssComponents) installed. Installation instructions for the AWS VSS Components are in the AWS EC2 User Guide for Windows Instances, https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/late ... ss-package
Here are the steps I followed to fix the issue on one Windows 2012r2 EC2 (affected OS version):
1. Uninstalled SSM Agent on EC2 (cleaned %ProgramData% caching);
2. Installed AWS Tools and SDK (msi setup containing Powershell extensions enabler);
3. Installed SSM agent;
4. Distributed AwsVssComponents package (here i think was now the point);
5. Run Command AWSEC2-CreateVssSnapshot and worked