VMM 2008 supports using highly available file servers and shares hosted by a failover cluster created in Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition or Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition as highly available library servers and library shares. VMM 2008 is not aware of failover clusters created in Windows Server 2003. VMM 2008 R2 supports using highly available file servers and shares hosted by a failover cluster created in Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition or Windows Server 2008 Datacenter Edition, or in Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition or Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Edition, as highly available library servers and library shares.
Let look into step by step instruction on how to create a high availability for VMM Library Server.
a) Both nodes joined to domain
b) Setup Failover cluster using Windows Server 2008 R2
c) Setup SCSI storage. I'm using Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 with using ISCSI target 3.2
d) 3 NIC card is needed. Public is configured as external network access, Private is for heartbeat and Iscsi is for connection to iscsi storage connection.
1. On the Failover cluster snap in, Right click Service and application and select configure a service or application.
2.A High availability wizard page is open.
3.On select Service or Application, select File Server.
4. On the Client Access Point, enter the cluster ip and cluster name. I'm using "VMMClusterLib"
5.Select the available storage that you have configure in ISCSI target.
6.Confirm the creation of the HA services.
7.Once complete, Right click VMMClusterLib HA service and select Add a shared folder. You will see an error message as displayed below
8. To rectify this problem, you must put Windows firewall exclusion on both nodes. Just exclude Remote for Volume Management.
9. Once you have put the exclusion, you can Add a shared folder to create a shared folder for VMM library.
10.On Shared folder location, create a folder and put into J:\VMMLibrary
11.On NTFS permission, change the permission to
Domain Administrator - Full Control
Scvmmservice user account - Read (SCVMM service user account)
Hyper V 01- 03 - Read (all hosts computer name)
12.On Shared Protocol, enter the share folder name.
13. On SMB setting, leave the default value.
14.On the SMB pemission, select user and group have custom share permission. Click on permission and configure
Domain Administrator - Full ControlScvmmservice user account - Read
Hyper V 01- 03 - Read
15. Click next until the end. Leave all to default setting. Once you have created a high availability file server share folder , you can start to copy iso files into it.
16. Lastly add a high availability library server into SCVMM. Please refer to http://www.ms4u.info/2009/10/adding-new-library-server-into-scvmm.html on how to add a library server.
Note:-Enter the library server name to VMMClusterLib.
Once the Clustered Library Server is added, the SCVMM will display the ISO files that you've added in step 15.
17. Test failover to another node. You will still be able to access to the library shares.
That's concluded the high availability for VMM Library Server