Microsoft Azure Blob storage is divided into 3 tier
a) Hot Tier - optimize to store data that frequent use
b) Cool Tier - storing data that is infrequent access and stored for at least 30 days
c) Archive Tier - optimize to store data that is rarely accessed and stored for at least 180 days
To calculate the cost of Azure Blob Storage according to tier, you can refer to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/blobs/
- Microsoft Azure
- Veeam Backup & Replication
- Starwind VTL
1. Go to Azure Market Place, deploy Starwind VTL Appliance
2. Setup site to site vpn between on-premise and Microsoft Azure
3. Create new Azure Storage, upgrade it to v2 (Storage | Configuration | Upgrade)
Set to Cool Access Tier
[ Configure Starwind VTL]
1. Add Tapes and point it to Data Disk (where Cool Access Tier Storage) is located
[Configure Veeam Backup and Replication]
1. Use iscsi initiator and connect to VTL which located in Microsoft Azure.
2. Rescan your tape server and able to see drive & tape
3. Create a GFS Media Pool which the setting : Weekly -4, Monthly - 12, Yearly - 1
This pool has the retention:-
- 4 weekly
- 12 monthly
- 1 yearly
5. Create a Tape Job and run the backup.
Lastly, backup successful transfer to Microsoft Azure Blob Storage (Cool Access Tier) using VTL.