Here is our note taking during today session.
Session 1: Veeam Backup and Replication Worst Practices (tom)
Veeam - It's Just Work! (in the logo)
- Install veeam with default
Bad-Ignore the infrastructure
- Enough space on the datastore
- Misses pDRMs or in-guest iSCSCI
- Fails to properly size repository size
- No monitoring for critical issues (snapshot, latency)
- Store backup on VMFS can complicate recovery
- Veeam components may not be sized for environment and especially growth
- No off site recovery options from catastrophic disaster.
How to Avoid?
Use Veeam ONE
- VM configuration assessment
- VM change rate estimation
- Monitor capacity (repo space, datastore)
- Early warning (snapshot)
Don’t Ignore the infrastructure
- VCEnter or SCVMM performance is critical
- Pay close to DB maintenance plan
- Don’t reboot vcenter when backup are running
Consider all external loads
#1 cause of random backup failures is external infrastructure load
One Job Guy
- Configure all VM into one backup job!
One Job Per VM Guy
- Want a complete control of policy per vm
The Job Chain Guy
- Guy that always job…job…and chain it.
- Manually chain jobs rather than using the automatic scheduler
- He wants to control the load
That's all for today sharing folk.
Besides than attending general session and closing ceremony, we had an opportunities to join ViaWest DataCenter Tour. It was an awesome site visit. Too bad! we are not allowed to take any picture during tour. Probably next year you can reserve a seat to join on next year VeeamOn.
See you folk next time and have a safe journey home!