As we roll into 2014, we have compiled a great list of free educational resources by world-renown authors who are some of the most respected virtualization experts in the industry.
Good reading from Veeam!
Hands-on Guide: Understanding Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012
By Brien Posey, with additional chapters from Pete Zerger and Chris Henley (white paper, 391 pages)
The Hands-on Guide is an essential and practical step-by-step guide for IT pros interested in server virtualization technology based on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V. Written to help readers get the most from their virtual environment, topics include:
- How to install and deploy Windows Server 2012 and Hyper-V 3.0
- How to manage Hyper-V and virtual machines
- How to configure Hyper-V clustering, VM migrations and failover rules and Hyper-V replication, plus and much more
VMware vSphere 5.5 & Windows Server 2012 R2: What's NEW with Veeam?
By Jose Mendoza and Shawn Lieu (video, duration 1:16:54)
Watch this training video led by two Veeam experts and learn what’s new in VMware vSphere 5.5 and Windows Server 2012 R2, Understand how Veeam Backup & Replication v7 R2 takes advantage of the most recent hypervisor innovations.
Advanced VM SQL Server Backup & Recovery
By Rick Vanover (video, duration 51:42)
The virtualization SQL server has always been a complicated topic because it handles such a critical workload. VMware vExpert Rick Vanover discusses:
- When it’s better to virtualize the SQL server
- How to correctly backup and restore the virtualized SQL server
- Which SQL server restore situations are addressed by Veeam
Watch this 1-hour video here for deeper insight into SQL server virtualization, backup and restore
A survey of 500 enterprises and 500 SMB companies across the USA, the UK, Germany and France
This report helps track the progress of data-protection strategies for virtual environments in SMB- and enterprise-level organizations. The survey was conducted among 1,000 CIOs or IT heads by an independent market-research organization, and participants came from different sectors and industries.
Key findings in 2013:
- 85% of SMBs were experiencing backup and recovery cost-related challenges, 83% were experiencing capability-related challenges and 80% were experiencing complexity-related challenges
- Almost a third of SMBs’ virtual infrastructures were unprotected
- 68% of enterprises felt that their backup and recovery tools would eventually become less effective as the amount of data and servers in their organizations continues to increase.
Veeam Backup & Replication v7: A VMware Architect’s Favorite Features
By Joep Piscaer (white paper, 28 pages)
Version 7 of Veeam Backup & Replication includes 50+ enhancements and updates. Two innovations include backups from Storage snapshots and built-in WAN acceleration, which help Veeam users to significantly improve RPOs and remove obstacles to offsite backup. In this technical deep-dive, VMware vExpert Joep Piscaer discusses:
- 2 innovations: Backups from storage snapshots and built-in WAN acceleration
- 7 new features: Native tape support, virtual labs for replicas, vSphere Web Client plug-in and more
- 50+ other updates