Hey! We have heard about new feature called “NIC Teaming in Windows Server 2012”. In my previous post, i have talked about physical NIC Teaming using Windows Server 2012 as well, you can always refer to here.
Now, won’t it be an interesting to have a teaming in a virtual machine as well?. In this article, we will look on how to configure teaming in the guest virtual machine.
1. Shutdown the virtual machine
2. Add 2 Network Adapter or 2 Legacy Network Adapter to the virtual machine. If you select Network Adapter, please remember to install the Integration Service Component.
3. On the network adapter:-
- Point 1st Network Adapter to Virtual Switch 1
- Point 2nd Network Adapter to Virtual Switch 2
4. On the Advanced features of the network adapter, remember to Tick “Enable this network adapter to be part of a team in the guest operating system”.
5. Connect to Virtual machine and select NIC Teaming using Server Manager snap-in.
6. Then, on the Adapter and Interfaces, select both Ethernet , click Tasks and select Add New Team.
7. For the virtual machine, create a NIC Teaming with only the following configuration
- Teaming mode: Switch Independent
- Load Balancing : Address Hashing
8. Now you have successful created a NIC teaming in a virtual machine which will provide failover and load balancing features.