Convert-WindowsImage is the new version of WIM2VHD and it is only designed for Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 operating system. You can use this script to create a sysprep VHD and VHDX images for the following operating system:
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows 8
Compare to WIM2VHD, you do not need to install WAIK.
To get started, follow below instruction:-
1. Download the powershell script from here.
2. On the Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012, copy to C:\
3. Before execute the powershell script, set your machine execution policy to remotesigned. By default script execution is disable. To run the script, type the following command
4. For ease of using the utilities, open the GUI by execute the following command
Based on my testing, Working Directory and VHD name is not working in the GUI.
- Working Directory – The utility will dump the vhd or vhdx to C:\
- VHD name – leave it empty (The utility will use a default name follow the SKU name). You can rename it later.
Refer to the link in step 1 and try the command line if it working. Enjoy!