First, please refer to the hardware specification for SCVMM:-
a) Dual Core with 64x
b) 4GB RAM
c) 50 GB HDD or higher
d) Windows server 2008 64x
Once you have choose your hardware, let start by looking into SCVMM 2008 R2 installation.
1. I'm assume you've run the VMMCA tool. Make sure, you have install Powershell and IIS component.
2. Run setup from the CD and select VMM Server.
3. Accept the license agreement.
4. Select No. I am not willing to participate on customer experience improvement program.
5. Enter your name and company name
6. Enter the correct installation path
7. On the SQL Server setting, i'm selecting "Install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP3".The Database size is limited to 4GB. It should be sufficient to handle 150 hosts.To manage more then 150 hosts, it is recommended to get SQL Server and add another library server and do not use the default library share on the server.
8. Leave the default library share. However, you can change the path to another drive.
9.On the specify the port. Leave the default port value but take note on the port number
a) 8100 -for communication with VMM Administrator Console.
b) 80 -for communication to agents and library server
c) 443 -for file transfer to agent on hosts and library server.
10. On the VMM service account, specify a domain account. If you decide to use local account, you need to create SPN using setspn command during PRO and SCOM integration. (Trust me, you will not want to go through the hassle installation step later)
Besides than using VMM service account, you need to add this account into VMM server local administrator group. if not, you will receive this error message:-
11.Review the summary and click next to start the installation..
12.Wait until the installation is complete.
13. Once the installation is complete, you can start to install VMM Administrator console and VMM Self Service.
The installation is quite straight forward but here is some tips that you may want to take note
a) VMM Administrator console if install at remote computer, it must joined to domain.Do not install VMM Administrator Console at VMM server first if you plan to integrate with SCOM.There are several step that you need to follow when performing integration with SCOM.
b) VMM Self Service, change the default port number 80 to another port which does not conflict with existing IIS.
So good luck on your SCVMM installation